Ivan's Travels

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Hi, how y'all doin'? My name is Class Karajas!

I've been christened with a new name. When I got to the hostel a few nights ago I gave the guy behind the desk my driver's license, to savehaving to spell out my surname over and over again. He found my surname but he obviously had a bit of trouble finding my first name, until he saw the word "class" and typed it into the computer. So I guess my name in New York is now Class Karajas!

Maybe this doesn't sound too strange to an American. When I was in London I met an American called Cherish, and in Boston I met someone called Cinnamon. Those crazy Americans with their funny names!

Not feeling too great today; I've had a sore throat since last night and am flying off to LA tomorrow. Hopefully it will clear up by then. Anyway, I've just been having a quiet one today.

Got up to lots of things in Boston. Explored the city with some guys I met there, went to a comedy club, walked the Freedom Trail, went to some dive bars, saw MIT and Harvard, etc. etc... Generally had a fun time. Boston has a real English/European feel to it, and it's a lot more relaxed than New York. Lots of beautiful red brick terrace houses in the city, part of which almost looks like London.

At the moment, the city is full of statues of cows, some of which you'll see on the photo site. It's a public art project for something called the Jimmy Fund. I also saw something similar in Athens. Apparently they're related.

The hostel where I stayed for a week was really sociable and full of interesting people. Some were a bit on the odd side of interesting, like the Croatian guy who didn't speak English but would just come up and talk to you anyway. I saw him downstairs in the common area and he was there, watching TV and chatting. I thought that there might have been someone sitting next to him but it eventually dawned on me that he was just sitting there by himself and talking to the TV. He did that a lot, too. Strange. We also had a 50-something Scottish guy who was travelling the world to escape having to make payments to his recently divorced wife. Just about everyone else was pretty normal, though!

Hmm, can't think of anything else to write about right now, so I guess I'll see you in LA!

1 Comments:

  • Hi Class, sounds like you're having a fab time. All that arty sh*t we don't do here. Keep up the celebrity head spotting (good practice for the game). Catch you in Aug.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home